Sometimes just listening to sermons and lectures isn’t enough. There are times when we need help applying the Scriptures to the problems we’re having during the week. This can be marriage conflict, depression, anxiety, relational conflict, addictions, life-changing events, etc.
Our counseling is Biblical because we believe that the Bible is able to provide answers to difficult life questions, help those who are struggling with sin, and ultimately transform their hearts.
What does the counseling process look like?
Typically counseling sessions last 10-12 weeks. We begin by asking the counselee a number of questions that will enable us to gain an understanding of their background and help them address their issues. We study Bible passages together that will help them with their struggles. In addition, we help them get connected with a local church that will encourage them in their spiritual growth and accountability.
What are the expectations for counseling?
- Bring your Bible and a notebook to all sessions.
- Normally, a counseling session will last about one to one-and-a-half hours. The duration of counseling sessions will vary depending on the problem(s) being addressed.
- Homework will be given after each session and must be completed before the following session in order to maximize the counseling and help you become a “doer of the Word” (James 1:22-25).
- Generally, an expense will be involved in the purchase of books or other resources that the counselor will recommend to enhance the counseling process.
- Because the Scriptures teach that spiritual growth requires all the resources offered by a Bible-believing local church, it is essential that those seeking biblical counseling commit themselves to regular church attendance at their church or Lakeshore Baptist Church for the duration of counseling.
If you are interested in getting counseling, fill out the form below, and we will get in touch with you. You can also download the form and bring it to the church office once you have filled it out.